Tuesday, August 17, 2010

His mercies are new every morning...thank God!

Well, it has been a good while since I have written anything. But, as we have ended another summer and are standing at the beginning of another school year facing change all around us, I feel inclined to begin again...as God feels the need to "begin again" and to complete the good work He began in me. My life has been such a journey...a glorious journey of highs of immense joy and lows of deep hurt. I know everyone can relate because we all walk along this journey in this broken world. Life is hard...even when it's good...and it's full of hurting people. But, we have this Treasure in these imperfect jars of clay!

Here's to another year...Izzy is starting the 2nd grade. Nicholas is starting kindergarten. Becca just turned 3. When did this happen? Life is going by...and I don't want to miss a second. And I don't want to miss out on the purpose and passion God graciously gave me. Finding the balance of living in the present...breathing in this moment, but always keeping the big picture in mind. Holding the paradox of we need to lose our life to find it in our hands....and living it. Here's to His promises and to journey of living in His grace and love.

Our summer has been busy. Busier than I had intended and not quite what I expected. Isn't that how it always is? Expect one thing...and God has other plans for you! It began with the death of my grandmother and an unexpected and long trip with the kids to South Carolina. How blessed I was that I could be there with my family and be there for my grandfather. We returned just in time for the girls' recital, the kids' to begin there seemingly endless activities (did we really mean to sign up for Art Camp, Hero's Camp, Soccer Camp, Dance and Swim Lessons??), and me to teach my 6 classes a week (thank goodness the kids love the gym!).

We did get a marvelous reprieve to Hawaii...after an 8 hour flight (the kids were amazingly well behaved) and a 5 hour time difference...we were in Waikiki where we learned that child is "Kiki" in Hawaiian (what Becca calls Nicky and hence all of us do now), Isabelle is "Kili Kili" in Hawaiin (the enormous sea turtle that we got to see first hand in the North Shore was named that also), and Jenny is "Kini Kini" (I learned that from a tattoo parlor...yes, Jonathan and I looked, but didn't get another one!). We went to Pearl Harbor where Nicky, Jonathan and my dad got to meet a former soldier who survived the attack. We went to several different beautiful beaches and when the kids got tired of the salt water and Becca got tired of being knocked over by waves, we went to the pool on the beautiful property of the military hotel, Hale Koa, where we were staying. We went to the Polynesian Culture Center where we tried Poi, learned to Hula, Izzy got on stage and did a coconut dance, we saw man climb a palm tree with nothing but his hands and feet, and attended a Luau where Becca got called on stage so they could sing "Happy Birthday" to her. We created memories. And then came home and tried to recover from so many memories created! I was going to put pictures from Hawaii on here, but Jonathan allegedly uploaded them to our computer, but I can't find them!

I just had a mini-retreat with God and I read "So Long Insecurity" by Beth Moore. I can't even begin to tell you what God revealed and began to heal in me. He is good. So good. He has set my feet upon a rock in this crazy world. "She is clothed in strength and dignity, she will laugh at the days to come." Proverbs 31.

I have a 42 year old woman that comes to my yoga class. I love the people I get to meet when I teach. I teach them, yet I learn so much from them in the process. There isn't a day that I don't walk away with a different perspective or new found wisdom. She is the amazingly honest woman that is further down in the journey of life who is so willing to encourage those coming up behind her. She told me that there was nothing like her 30's and raising children to bring her to her knees and bring her humility. She said it was the most difficult thing she has done so far. Whew! So, it's not just me! And I will get through this season...hopefully better, stronger and closer to God for it. If not for me, for those coming up behind me.

No comments: