Monday, February 25, 2008

life in motion

The past week as been...well, life. Life in motion. Nicky had strep a week ago and then Becca had her first fever, sending us to get a chest x-ray. Everyone hopefully seems to be on the mend for now...until the next thing. Nicky had soccer practice and his first game. Izzy had dance classes. And I am officially falling apart -- I had to start PT for my neck. Apparently years of tension and stress have taken up residence in my neck and jaw.

My friend, Stephanie, lost her brother to cancer. My friend, Beth, lost a friend to violence. There are people in the world, even in the church, who are hurtful and manipulative. There are people in the world, even in the church, who are hurting and broken.

In all of this death, destruction and despair, I still see hope. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28). I have seen the good that God can do. Like the song, "Shackles" says, "I want to praise Him in my circumstances!" Imagine me a beautiful black woman as I belt that out (you also have to imagine that I can sing).

Jonathan and I shared our testimony on Sunday at church. It was terrifying to be so vulnerable in front of so many people. Especially when one of your biggest struggles has been inscecurities and in the past having people use those very things in which you are vulnerable about against you. But, God kept telling me that there was someone there that needed to hear what we had been called to share. We received so much love, encouragement and support from our friends and our church family. If one person was touched, one seed planted or one heart opened by what we shared, it was worth it. "It is my joy to honor You, in all I do."

Time management, priorities, family, finances, laundry (blasted, laundry!!) callings and ministries all seem to be colliding. I am having to fight the voice in my head that is saying "Why can't you be more like...do more like...be more...do more...why do you seem to struggle...see how you failed there?" Life. Life in motion. As long as my motion is moving forward and not backwards...that is progress. God applauds our baby steps. He takes pleasure in even our smallest growth. And He delights in our obedience. I have to keep reminding myself of that.

2 comments:

Anne Smith said...

i love your blog and wondering if you are also seeing the devries for treatment...i'm going there for my neck as well.

let's go have coffee sometime!

Steph said...

Oh, honey...i am so sorry about everything...we all feel overwhelmed at times. But you are a strong woman and you can handle anything that comes your way. I love the pic of you and Nicky at the soccer field. You can be like me now...living at the ball park. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. Go Nicky!!